Friday, March 9, 2012

My Jewish Lady Friends: Matzo Pizza on this religious holiday?

I'm feeling a rising nostalgia among you for passover food. I'm already eat enough matzo brie to respackle my home, so let's forget the breakfast foods.





Pizza will be undoubtedly the hardest to give up (it tends to serve as dinner one night a week). Who here can grace me with their guarded recipe?





Shatter-proof would be best. Be well, and best of luck in your chametz search!|||Hi - I guess you didn't check back in. I included it in my updates to that other question! I wouldn't want you to miss this experience!





http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;…





Though I've rethought the oven temp, %26amp; maybe straight broil is best (which is high temp).








-----





To repeat here:


YFJA -


Aah, you need my lack of cooking lessons. On a toaster oven tray put the mazto, spread with sauce thick as on a pizza, top with sliced or grated cheese %26amp; broil till it bubbles. The mazto softens %26amp; it all tastes good together. Probably on 350 deg. so it softens before the cheese is ready.





Beyond that, the week does include a lot, a lot matza. I made "blondies" cookie bars to try out. Has lots of sugar %26amp; butter %26amp; flavor, %26amp; only one cup of matza meal...but still mazto is all you could taste.





----


EDIT:


I discovered a new trick for desserts. For pie crust, roast almonds, then pulverize, before mixing with cake meal (%26amp; butter, sugar, etc.). Result - the almond flavor actually overwhelms so you can't taste the matza! But the matza gives it bulk. I have a great apple crisp recipe, but I couldn't make it again for I think the 8th year in a row.








=====


Ques - can anyone remember how they (personally) discovered matza pizza? We did it as kids, but I don't remember who gave us (sis %26amp; I) the idea?? And it's not an obvious one - obviously :).





FJA - gotta agree - toaster ovens are the way to go!|||Enjoy!! Chag Shameach! I never knew there were all these complicated ways to do it :). My mom - I can count on her for simple but good.

Report Abuse


|||I think this is the recipe my 11 year old uses (and she is geared up for it, too LOL!)





Sprinkle matzo with water or olive oil. Spread sauce on matzo, top with vegetables and cheese. Bake on cookie sheet or pizza stone at 350 for 5-7 minutes, until cheese is melted and brown.





I think the key to making it unbreakable is the amount of sauce and standing time- if you go back to Mac's Q from yesterday, Cher had a great answer for instructions.


I'm going to make a confession, and tell you that I usually take advantage of passover to do a cleanse and diet. The lack of breads/ carbs combined with fear of constipation makes it pretty easy timing


:-D But inthe meantime, I am in fact taking a break from cleaning while the little guys sleep, and doing my family the favor of finishing off the pizza from last night (whole grain and organic, if not low cal.)|||answer: this makes me smile. 6 1/2 years ago I had stomach surgery and could no longer eat bread (or anything difficult to digest or that gums up in the stomach - celery, biscuits, etc). After a year I was begging for pizza and was ready to strangle the next person that had one near me. I tried several things to get that taste without bread and couldn't.





An on-line friend suggested Matzo crackers.





YAY! Happy Snoopy dance!





A matzo cracker, sauce and toppings - toaster oven = pizza! And I could eat 3/4ths of it at a time.





Cher and others - thanks for the added ideas.|||I actually saw frozen kosher-for-passover pizza in the supermarket yesterday! I didn't stop to check what it was made of, but it sure struck me as funny!





(Yes, we ate matzah, eggs, potatoes, and meat - but not much else!)





And I never knew Gen. Stiggo was Jewish!!|||This is the easiest recipe:


one shmura matzo, some Adler's cooking sauce or any other pizza/pasta sauce with the o-u-p, some graded mozzerella cheese; assmble, pop in the oven for 5-10 min, and enjoy.


Happy Passover to you and to all!|||Not Jewish and not a lady, just some Pepperoni loving Goy who's trying to come to terms with the concept of kosher pizza. But that's how we learn.





Again thanks to everyone for yesterday's answers.


edit


Here's a link to yesterdays question for anyone wanting to follow Mz. Rahi's recomendation on the recipe.


http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;…|||Although I'm not a "Lady" friend, ;), i agree with the other posts.


If you don't want the breakage, add a little extra sauce, it kinda softens up the matzah. It tastes amazing.


Add your vegetables and cheese. You can't go wrong.|||Oh man. Now I'm thinking of my mother's inedible farfel crust pizza. A fabulous cook for 51 weeks of the year, she hit a roadblock every passover, trying to make things like rolls and pizza taste good.|||A lot of people are talking Italian food these days.





Time to fast sounds correct.





People usually don't put BrunShwagger sausage on their pizza, though.|||mmmmmmmm Marge matzoh balls mmmmmmmm|||Matzo Pizza


Contributed by Courtesy of Women's Branch of the Orthodox Union


Crust:


3 cups matza farfel


2½ cups boiling water


Salt and pepper to taste


5 eggs


Put farfel into bowl and pour boiling water over it. Drain. Add eggs, salt and pepper. Mix well. Spread on large pizza pan or two layer cake pans (greased). Bake at 350 degrees just until set.


Topping:


8 slices American cheese


1 tsp onion powder (or 1 tbsp chopped onion)


1 can tomato-mushroom sauce


1 tsp garlic powder


Instructions: Cover pizza with tomato sauce. Cut cheese into strips and put on top of pizza. Sprinkle with onion and garlic powder. Return to 350 degrees oven and bake until cheese melts.


http://oukosher.org/index.php/consumer/r…








EASY TO MAKE.. FROM A NON JEWISH LADY FRIEND





BUT I KNOW HOW TO COOK ( KOSHER ) TOO





RE PIAZZA IT IS GREEK


he history of pizza


The history of pizza, from its origins as a Greek food, to its reincarnation today as an international treat. ... part of these facts is, pizza is actually ...www.essortment.com/all/historyofpizza…


RUSSIAN/ GREEK BACKGROUND ( CANADIAN :)|||Ohhh I've been eating Matzoh Pizza since I can remember, my Dad made it with his very own spaghetti sauce and three types of crumbled cheeses and we sprinkled black olives, mushrooms and onion on top.





In fact, I'd heard as a child that the very origin of Pizza was when Judea was occupied by the Roman soldiers in the first and second century who bought back the flat matzh and put oil and vegetables and cheeses on top. However, it was not until Columbus brought back the tomato, that tomato sauce was put on the pizzas.





edit: To answer Cher's question, well all I know is that my Dad said he first started making it in the early 1940's..but I know that it's been done for ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment